In case your nozzle is not functioning appropriately and irrespective of how a lot you attempt to repair it, it’s not simply working, it may be broken past restore, and the one answer is changing it. When you’ve got by no means considered doing a substitute, at one level in your 3D printing journey you’ll have to do it even in case you are utilizing one of many greatest 3D printers out there. When the time comes and you’ve got the substitute nozzle with you, there are some key steps it is advisable comply with to make sure that the method is easy and efficient. However earlier than we take a look at that, let’s see the explanations that may power you to exchange your nozzle.
Causes Why You Would possibly Must Change Your Nozzle
- Worn-out nozzle: With time, your nozzle can put on out from the fixed warmth and friction, and also you may discover this while you see poor high quality prints and want to exchange it.
- Blocked or clogged nozzle: Typically, no matter how a lot you attempt to clear and unclog your nozzle, you may nonetheless have some filament stack inside that you would be able to’t get out.
- Printing with totally different supplies: If you wish to 3D print with a fabric with a diameter totally different from the one you often use, you have to to exchange it.
- 3D print at excessive speeds with out altering the settings: You should use an even bigger nozzle while you need to print a bit sooner with out altering the settings, because it extrudes numerous filament inside a short while. The one problem with that is that the print high quality won’t be as tremendous because the one printed in a small nozzle.
- Inconsistent extrusion: For those who discover this, it means there’s a downside with the nozzle (if all the opposite elements are stored fixed), and it is advisable substitute it.
What You Must Substitute Your Nozzle
You want the next to exchange your nozzle correctly.
- New nozzle. You may get it in your native retailer, or purchase it on-line on platforms like Amazon.
- Wrench for eradicating the outdated nozzle and changing the brand new one. They often come in several configurations and dimensions, however I like to recommend utilizing the L-shaped socket wrench. It is available in totally different sizes too, and you should buy all of them.
- Pliers for holding the varied parts in place whereas eradicating or attaching the nozzle.
- Gloves. You want these to guard your palms as you do the substitute.
After you have all of the above instruments, comply with the steps under. Word that the steps could also be barely totally different relying on the kind of printer you’ve, although these will apply to most. Some more-enclosed printers just like the Bambu Lab line may have the nozzle and hotend as one piece that may’t be modified on this manner.
1. Warmth the hotend.
(Picture credit score: Anycubic)
It’s essential to warmth the hotend till it reaches the temperature that you’ve got been 3D printing with or the temperature of your materials. That is key because it helps to melt any filament that may be inside as a result of in case you attempt to take away the nozzle when there may be any filament that has solidified inside, it may be difficult to unscrew it. Additionally, while you warmth it, the metallic components increase barely, making it simpler to unscrew, in contrast to when chilly which may have points when eradicating.
To warmth the nozzle, navigate to the temperature settings on the LCD display. This varies relying on the 3D printer you might be utilizing. As soon as you discover the temperature possibility, set the nozzle temperature to that of the melting level of your filament.
2. Unload the filament.
Because the nozzle is heating, it is advisable unload the filament. Yow will discover the choice to do that within the LCD display of your 3D printer; the method varies relying on the kind of your machine. Unloading the filament is essential in serving to you take away the nozzle with out obstructions or bending the filament. As soon as the nozzle is scorching sufficient and you’ve got unloaded the filament, you may go to the subsequent step of eradicating the nozzle.
3. Take away the nozzle.
Transfer the Z-axis barely up so you’ve sufficient area to take away the nozzle simply.
Put in your gloves, place the wrench to the nozzle, and rotate it to unscrew. For those who don’t have the socket wrench, you should use a spanner that comes along with your 3D printer. Use the pliers to carry the opposite parts as you unscrew. Watch out to not contact the nozzle along with your palms as it will probably burn your hand. You must also use reasonable power to keep away from damaging different components.
In case you are utilizing a 3D printer like Ender 3 V2, you need to first take away the outer nozzle casing earlier than eradicating the nozzle, as proven under.
After eradicating the nozzle, you’ll not be prepared to put in the brand new one.
4. Set up the brand new nozzle.
You’ll be able to comply with the identical course of when eradicating the nozzle from the warmth block. You begin by putting the nozzle within the wrench, then placing it on the hotend and turning it. For those who don’t have a socket wrench, you have to to place it manually earlier than turning it to tighten, and since the warmth block space remains to be scorching, you have to to attend a couple of minutes till it cools. This ensures that it isn’t too scorching to deal with safely.
You too can test the temperature on the LCD display to see if it has cooled sufficient. After cooling, you may connect it by hand and earlier than you begin tightening, make sure that you warmth the hotend once more so that you just set up it when it’s nonetheless scorching. For those who set up it and tighten when it’s chilly, it might be free and never contact correctly when it’s scorching. As you tighten, simply just be sure you maintain the warmth block utilizing a pliers in order that it might not transfer round when you twist the nozzle as this will trigger harm to the wires.
What to do After Altering Your 3D Printer Nozzle
Earlier than you hit that print button after altering your nozzle, there are some things it is advisable set to make sure that your prints comes out nicely. Initially, it is advisable degree your 3D printer mattress. Even in case you had accomplished it earlier than, it is advisable do it once more in order that the nozzle will be on the appropriate place with the mattress on all sides.
You additionally must test and modify the Z top in order that it may be on the identical appropriate top. Moreover, it is advisable change the nozzle diameter settings in your 3D printer slicer to replicate the brand new one that you’ve got put in. After that, load the filament and do a take a look at print to test if the nozzle works nicely.