The conflict in Ukraine and the resultant scarcity of pure gasoline has compelled the European Union (EU) and European international locations to proactively put together for the potential for extra risky power provides—each this winter and past. Microsoft is working with clients, governments, and different stakeholders all through the area to convey readability, continuity, and compliance within the face of attainable energy-saving methods on the native and nationwide degree. In solidarity with Europe, the place even important providers are more likely to be requested to search out power financial savings, we’ve got validated plans and contingencies in place to responsibly scale back power use in our operations throughout Europe, and we are going to accomplish that in a method that minimizes danger to buyer workloads working within the Microsoft Cloud.
We need to share a few of the contingencies and mitigations that our groups have put in place to responsibly function our cloud providers.
Supporting grid stability by responsibly managing our power consumption
The ability that’s consumed by Microsoft from the utilities is primarily used to energy our community and servers, cooling methods, and different datacenter operations. We’ve got contingency plans to contribute to power grid stability, whereas working to make sure minimal disruption to our clients and their workloads, together with:
- The dimensions and distribution of the Microsoft datacenters provides us the flexibility to reposition non-regional platform as a service (PaaS) providers, inside infrastructure, and lots of of our inside non-customer analysis and improvement (R&D) workloads to different close by areas, whereas nonetheless assembly our information residency and EU Knowledge Boundary commitments.
- Actively working with native governments and enormous organizations to carefully monitor and reply to energy consumption to make sure grid stability and minimal disruption to our clients’ vital workloads. We’re working with native utility suppliers to make sure our methods are prepared for a spread of circumstances.
- Our datacenter areas are deliberate and constructed to face up to grid emergencies. When wanted, we rapidly transition to backup energy sources to scale back impression on the grid with out impacting buyer workloads.
Resilient infrastructure funding
Microsoft is accountable for offering our clients with a resilient basis within the Microsoft Cloud—in how it’s designed, operated, and monitored to make sure availability. We make appreciable investments within the platform itself—bodily issues like our datacenters, in addition to software program issues like our deployment and upkeep processes.
We try to supply our cloud-using clients with “five-nines” of service availability, which means that the datacenter is operational 99.999 p.c of the time. Nonetheless, figuring out that service interruptions and failures occur for a myriad of causes, we construct methods designed with failure in thoughts.
We’ve got Azure Availability Zones (AZs) in each nation wherein we function datacenter areas. AZ’s are comprised of a minimal of three zone places, every with unbiased energy, cooling and networking, permitting clients to unfold their infrastructure and functions throughout discrete and dispersed datacenters for added resiliency and availability.
Battery backup and backup turbines are an extra resiliency functionality we implement and are utilized throughout energy grid outages and different service interruptions so we are able to meet service ranges and operational reliability. We’ve got contracted entry to further gasoline provides to keep up generator operations, and we additionally maintain vital spares to keep up generator well being. We’re prepared to make use of backup turbines throughout Europe, when needed, to maintain our providers working in case of a severe grid emergency.
Throughout our international infrastructure, it’s commonplace for us to work with a heightened operational consciousness, on account of exterior components. For example, extreme winter climate occasions in Texas in 2021 precipitated substantial stress on the Texas power grid. Microsoft was in a position to take away its San Antonio datacenter from utilizing grid energy. Though Microsoft’s onsite substations have been designed with redundancy, we have been in a position to rapidly transition to our tertiary redundant methods—turbines. These methods saved the datacenters working, with zero impression to our cloud clients, whereas the utility grid may guarantee residential properties stayed heat. Throughout this occasion, we maintained 100% uptime for our clients, whereas eradicating our workloads from the grid.
Resiliency suggestions for cloud architectures
It is a difficult time for organizations monitoring the rising power issues in Europe. We’re offering necessary infrastructure for the communities the place we function, and our clients are relying on us to present dependable cloud providers to run their vital workloads. We acknowledge the significance of continuity of service for our clients, together with these offering important providers: well being care suppliers, police and emergency responders, monetary establishments, producers of vital provides, grocery shops and well being businesses. Organizations questioning what extra they will do to enhance the reliability of their functions, or questioning how they will scale back their very own power consumption, can take into account the next:
- Clients who’ve availed themselves of excessive availability instruments, together with geo-redundancy, needs to be unaffected by impacts to a single datacenter area. For software program as a service (SaaS) providers like Microsoft 365, Microsoft Dynamics 365, and Microsoft Energy Platform, the enterprise continuity and resiliency are managed by Microsoft. For Microsoft Azure, clients ought to at all times take into account designing their Azure workloads with excessive availability in thoughts.
We at all times encourage clients to have a Enterprise Continuity and Catastrophe Restoration (BCDR) plan in place as a part of the Microsoft Properly-Architected Framework, which you’ll be able to learn extra about. Clients who need to proactively migrate their Azure assets from one area to a different can accomplish that at any time. Learn the way.
- On-premises clients can scale back their very own power consumption by transferring their functions, workloads, and databases to the cloud. The Microsoft Cloud will be as much as 93 p.c extra power environment friendly than conventional enterprise datacenters, relying on the precise comparability being made. Uncover extra right here. Begin your sustainability journey at the moment.
- Vitality use in our datacenters is pushed by buyer use. Clients can play an element in lowering power consumption by following inexperienced software program improvement pointers, together with shutting down unused server situations, and sustainable utility design. Additional data obtainable right here.
We proceed to enhance the power effectivity of our datacenters, in our ongoing dedication to make our international infrastructure extra sustainable and environment friendly. As international locations and power suppliers take into account choices to scale back their consumption of electrical energy within the occasion of an power capability scarcity, we’re working with grid operators on this evolving state of affairs. With the dimensions, experience, and partnerships that we function, we’re assured that our danger mitigation actions will offset any potential disruption to our clients working their vital workloads within the cloud.