It will get robust for newcomers to seize a sizeable share of the solid-state drive market away from well-known manufacturers, which is why Kingston and Adata have led retail SSD shipments for years. However apparently, Gigabyte grew to become one of many Prime 10 retail SSD suppliers after just a few years in the marketplace.
SSD shipments via international distribution channels reached 127 million models in 2021, up 11% year-over-year, regardless of shortages of controllers and energy administration ICs, in keeping with TrendForce (opens in new tab). 42% of those shipped drives have been from firms that make their 3D NAND reminiscence (Kioxia, Micron, Samsung, SK Hynix, and Western Digital). In distinction, the remaining 58% encompasses firms targeted purely on SSD meeting. TrendForce’s retail SSD rankings solely depend the latter class of ‘pure play’ SSD producers.
In retail, model power issues, which is why Kingston, Adata, Kimtigo, Lexar, and Transcend have been in TrendForce’s listing of Prime 10 makers of SSDs offered in retail or inside custom-built PCs for ages. However Kingston’s share dropped a bit in 2021 to 26%, in all probability as a result of there have been simply many gamers addressing segments that Kingston has addressed. Alternatively, different high 3 makers strengthened their positions, in keeping with TrendForce. Lexar, which at present has nothing to do with Micron, sits at No. 4 with a 6% share. Netac sits just a bit beneath Lexar.
In the meantime, after just a few years within the sport and a number of drives that led to our greatest SSDs listing, Gigabyte discovered itself within the No. 9 place with a 3% market share. Colourful, similar to Kimtigo, is primarily oriented on China and is even increased with a 4% share. Lastly, Powev is one other new Prime 10 entrant with a 4% share.
Lots of of firms provide solid-state drives right this moment as SSDs are comparatively simple to supply, and the market is rising. However as a result of there are such a lot of names round, the competitors is cut-throat as everyone seems to be attempting to supply the most effective value, highest high quality, and highest efficiency. For apparent causes, firms that produce their 3D NAND reminiscence have a bonus over pure-play SSD homes as they’ve their chips and understand how they behave. They understand how to make sure constantly excessive efficiency of drives that use their reminiscence.
However whereas it’s exhausting to compete in opposition to makers of 3D NAND when it comes to value, some specialists efficiently produce high-speed drives. Firms like Corsair, G.Ability, Patriot, Sabrent, and TeamGroup is probably not within the Prime 10 listing of the biggest retail SSD makers by unit shipments. Nevertheless, they nonetheless serve their loyal buyer base that calls for two issues solely: efficiency and high quality.